1.31.2011

FOUR GENERATIONS

We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord -2 Corinthians 5:8

Today we reflect on the life of my Grandma Aning, Carolina U. Rabanal.  Born to life in 1923 and born into eternal life on January 31, 2009.  A quality life pursued.  Sixty-seven years of marriage with our grandfather Isabelo, Sr.  Eight children: Isabelo, Jr, Alex, Lita, Tessie, Wally, Marissa, Divina and Babylyn.  Fifteen grandchildren: Don, Rommel, Roger, Randy, Liza, Joel, Hazel, Jun, Angelica, Catherine, April, Stacey, JR, Michelle and Bryan. And Eight Great Grandchildren: Leilani, Nevaeh, Adam, Abby, Dino, Patrick, Isabel and Igi boy.

I remember her kisses, she would greet me from afar with her eyes squinted, cigarette backwards in her mouth, yelling and laughing that she could recognize me.  She would hold my face, sniff both my cheeks, mumble words in ilocano, as I hug her tightly and giggle, I could smell the strong scent of cigarettes on her clothes. She wore a beanie and about 3 layers of clothing because she was so petite and always cold.  My fondest memory would be circa 1987, it was my merienda almost everyday: cold rice and about three Rolo's. Yup she would heat up the cold bowl of rice and rolo's in the microwave and serve it to me and boy did she make sure I ate the whole bowl! lol.... Oh the sweet memories... how I love and miss my grandma and I'm sure all the family does as well.  I have dreams of her every now and then and feel peace that she's with God. It was her dream to see me get married...every time she saw me she would ask me (trying her best to speak english) "when are you getting married." I would just laugh and tell her don't worry, you'll get to see me walk down the aisle.  When Chad and I got married last September, her absence was felt deeply.  What made the grieving process easier was that she knew we all loved her, we knew she loved us and we knew that god had used her life for this glory.

Today we remember a woman of courage, strength, love, and a long quality life lived.  We love you Gramma and miss you so much!

Here favorite, a game of remi, the last time I saw her, hugged her, smelled her, kissed her, touched her

my 21st birthday, Las Vegas
some of the g/g kids



1.29.2011




No comments:

Post a Comment